RE: SMTP Authentication on Sendmail

Look up DRAC.  Qpop 4.x has support for DRAC.

When you install DRAC, it adds rules to your sendmail.cf file which
allows relaying by entries in a custom map.  The map file is built by
the DRAC daemon.  Entries in the map time out, default 60 minutes.  What
happens is that you install the daemon and DRAC support in your popper
and sendmail.  Then when someone authenticates via the popper, the
popper pushes the IP address of the login to the DRAC daemon which
updates the map.  The sendmail rules read the map and allow relaying
temporarily, until the map entry is removed.

It's a kludge but an elegant one, IMHO.

The only gotcha is you have to teach your people that they *must* check
their mail before they send their mail.  Most GUI tools like Outlook
Express, Netscape and Eudora can be configured this way.

It will work for remote sites like home users as well but you may have a
bit of a tussle with engineers who have already got a set up they like
that doesn't do that and "...worked fine at my last job."  You might
have to email them the docs so they can see for themselves how it works.

Hattie Rouge