Re: On Moving From RH8.0 to RH9

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 04:30:35AM -0700, Blaise Pascal wrote:
> Probably a stupid question, but I have to ask...
>
> Currently, I have RH 8.0 on my laptop, an IBM ThinkPad
> T23 (I've had RH 8.0 on since early October). It's
> been great, but I simply cannot resist the temptation
> of trying something new. :) I want to install RH 9,
> but I refuse to do upgrades on an existing system, so
> I want to do a clean install. However, I would like to
> keep my data. My partitions are set up like this:
>
> hda1: /boot, 100MB
> hda2: /, about 9.9GB
> hda3: /home, about 30GB
>
> (There is no swap. I have 1GB of RAM, and regardless
> of whether it was a good idea or not to not include
> swap, that was what I did. I could always set up a
> swap file, I guess...)
>
> Like any good Linux user, I have the root account only
> for administrative purposes, and a separate user
> account for my data (call it user). The home directory
> is, of course, /home/user. The question is this: if I
> do a clean install of RH 9, reformatting the /boot and
> / partition, and created the same account user, will I
> still be able to access my data in /home/user?
>

> Tha
The answer is yes but you have to be careful. Ask the installer to
mount /dev/hda3 as /oldhome and tell it not to format that partition.
Then after installation what used to be in /home will be in /oldhome
and you can copy it over or even better change the mount point of
hda3 to /home once you are all installed. But do create a swap file.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.