Re: [OT mp3] How to add info to mp3

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Harry Putnam wrote:

> A little off topic but hard to ignore this groups major linux
> resource qualities.
>
> Can someone guide me as to how this kind of thing might be done:
>
> Can I add info to a *.wav or *.mp3 that will appear on a player like
> grip?
>
> Example: Converting a ripped series of wav files to mp3 with
> `bladeenc.  How can I add info like my own commentary or whatever, to
> the mp3 that will showup on some of the popular players?

Hi Harry,

I haven't used bladeenc in a long time, but when using lame, I use these
tags to add info :

$ lame --longhelp

<SNIP>

  ID3 tag options:
    --tt <title>    audio/song title (max 30 chars for version 1 tag)
    --ta <artist>   audio/song artist (max 30 chars for version 1 tag)
    --tl <album>    audio/song album (max 30 chars for version 1 tag)
    --ty <year>     audio/song year of issue (1 to 9999)
    --tc <comment>  user-defined text (max 30 chars for v1 tag, 28 for v1.1)
    --tn <track>    audio/song track number (1 to 255, creates v1.1 tag)
    --tg <genre>    audio/song genre (name or number in list)
    --add-id3v2     force addition of version 2 tag
    --id3v1-only    add only a version 1 tag
    --id3v2-only    add only a version 2 tag
    --space-id3v1   pad version 1 tag with spaces instead of nulls
    --pad-id3v2     pad version 2 tag with extra 128 bytes
    --genre-list    print alphabetically sorted ID3 genre list and exit

There should be similar command-line options to bladeenc. You should be
able to pass them in through grip, or build your own scripts.

BTW, thanks to Matthias, lame is available from freshrpms.net.

--
 Arend