Re: erasing the MBR

On Monday 28 April 2003 20:30, rada and gus uttered:
> However, I still can not boot winXP off the hard disk.  After I flushed
> the MBR, when I try to boot, all I get is a blank screen with a cursor.
>   I can still boot with the winXP floppy and linux with the GRUB boot
> floppy.  I can also boot windows with the GRUB boot floppy.

Of course you can't.  In order to boot windows, the windows boot code has to
be in the MBR.  This isn't what you asked for.  You asked us how to clear the
MBR, and we happily showed you.  NOw if you want to boot windows, you'll have
to use your windows repair console to do something like fix-mbr or some such.
I'm not too familiar w/ windows anymore though to be of any more help.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: