Re: erasing the MBR

> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=446 count=1

Thanks for the help. I put this complete experession into google and came up with a very nice description of the command and it's syntax. I ran it and it did flush GRUB from the MBR wihout disturbing any partitons.

However, I still can not boot winXP off the hard disk. After I flushed the MBR, when I try to boot, all I get is a blank screen with a cursor. I can still boot with the winXP floppy and linux with the GRUB boot floppy. I can also boot windows with the GRUB boot floppy.

I created two Partition Magic rescue disks which have a copy of the MBR, so I can probably go back that way, but that would not solve the problem, because I would be back where I was before I ran the dd command. Maybe I can re-install GRUB, but now I feel I am in really uncharted waters and nervous to mess up my system further. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks. Gus.