Re: OT: Why I use an MTA at home

At 23:51 4/24/2003 -0500, you wrote:
I have several email accounts with different ISP's.  One at work, one
broadband, one dialup (for when broadband has problems or I'm not at
home and want to get online) and several through my IHP.  I read and
answer mail from all of them from home and need to respond from home.
None will relay (and I agree with that, by the way).  By running my own
MTA, I can respond as the personallity I need to use for that
particular email.  The From header shows up in the recipients mail as I
want it to (and in the case of some mail-list as it must!).

Leaving aside the rest of the rant for a moment, in Linux you can do all of this directly from Evolution (the mail client); no server software is needed at all. In Windows, you can do all of this very well indeed with Eudora (also no server software required).

If you want the outbound mail to go through your server, the feature you want to use is "smarthost" in sendmail and "relayhost" (I think) in postfix.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx