Re: OT: Why I use an MTA at home

On Friday 25 April 2003 12:08 pm, Joe Klemmer wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 11:26, Doug B wrote:
> > Can you enlighten me on how I can send email from home, through my
> > provider at home, that will only show my work email address?  I
> > want people I have a work relationship with to see only my work
> > email address but still be able to do some of my work from home.  I
> > would also like to know how I can respond to mail-list that I
> > subcribe to with one acouunt (like at work) from home. The only way
> > I know to handle either situation has resulted in a 'relaying not
> > allowed' type of message from my ISP.
>
> 	I do this all the time.  In fact I have 5 or 6 "from" email
> addresses I use that all go through one smtp outbound server.  The
> key is for the smtp server to allow access from your IP address.
> Most ISPs allow you to send with the from address anything you like
> as long as the actual envelop info is valid.  Now, it does sound like
> your ISP might be a bit more draconian in the configuration.  What
> was the only way you knew? Tell us what you did and that will help to
> figure out where to go from there.

Gee... making me think, huh :)  It's been so long since I tried to use
my isp's smtp server...

I was on a windows box and had even less knowledge about how things
worked than I do now.  I expect I set up all the accounts as the isp
suggested...  pop.isp.tdl for incoming and smtp.isp.tdl for outgoing.
I had several dialup isp's and always used the one that gave me the
best through-put at the moment.  Seems at different times and different
days I got better connections and speeds from different providers.

Thinking about it now (man that hurts), I guess I can see why isp-1
wouldn't send mail using the settings I had for isp-2's email
address... relaying from another smpt server?

Anyway I found a free windows based smtp server, set it up and could
email from any personallity to any email address regardless of which
isp I was connected through.  I guess I could have changed the smtp
server for each account depending on the isp I was logged into and
acomplish the same thing, but what a hassle since I changed connections
so often.  When I started playing with linux, I found postfix easy
enough to set up so I continued as before, just setting the smtp to my
local box on each account.

Now that I have a broadband connection and rarely use dialup, I can see
that I can set each account to use my broadbands smtp.  If I do need to
switch to dailup for whatever reason, kmail makes it easy to select the
smtp server I want to use.

I tested it and all works as well as using my own server, but I did
notice something in the headers that could present a problem?

Mailing from my broadbands email address to another of my addresses I
see a header inserted by the receiving isp:
That looks good.

Mailing from an address aother than the one on my broadband isp:
Not so good... I can see where some very strict postmasters might reject
it.

Mailing from localhost through the broadband isp (which I don't do but
was curious about):
At least they let it through and gave me headers I can filter on if I
want to.

Anyway, thanks for making me think... even if it hurts! :)

Doug