On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Mark Hoover wrote:

> > --__--__--
> >
> > Question still stands though, does your ISP allow for the use of mailservers
> > on in the DHCP range?  I personally see this as only an inconvience to those
> > that were already breaking AUPs.
>

> While I'm not the one originally asked, there are ISPs out there that
> while they ban mailservers in general, have no problems with you running
> and internal outbound server so long as it's not publically accessable.
> Meaning basically that you can't setup a server to accept mail from the
> outside, but that a server for internal users to send mail outward is
> perfectly fine.

Maybe but like it or not there are a lot of sites that will reject mail from
dialup mail servers. A large percentage of this type of mail is spam. Most
of my current crop of spam is from addresses that clain to be @yahoo.com,
@hotmail.com, @msn.com, etc. but looking at the headers you can see that they
came from dialup accts and never once touched the mail servers of the actual
domain they claim to be from. I just got done configuring postfix to reject
mail that claims to be from the above domains but does not come from their
servers. I think this is a better way of rejecting spam without just dumping
mail from dialups. Unfortunately not everyone agrees with me.

It will be interesting to see how well this works.

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxx	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....