Re: how to find system serial number

>>>>> "from" == from sinha <bbsrsinha@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

from> uname command gives info on version of Kernel or version of Linux OS
from> I have. But I want to know the system serial number . Something
from> similar to true64 command "consvar" which Manipulate system firmware
from> console environment variables

What you're looking for relies on the underlying hardware for
implementation.  On x86, there is no direct equivalent to this.  About the
closest thing to it would be the later Pentium CPU serial numbers, but
earlier Pentiums (and other processors, I would imagine) do not have them.

Welcome to the PC world... :-)

                                Ed
--
Ed Bailey        Red Hat, Inc.          http://www.redhat.com/