RE: turning off unused ports

If this is not a laptop (which moves around) or a box in your DMZ,
remove the ports you aren't using but don't harden it too much.  Get a
Sonicwall (or equivalent - I tend to think the Sonicwalls are better but
some people hate Checkpoint...) and put your home net behind that.

I found a guy on eBay who sells the old Webramp (a Sonicwall clone - an
*old* clone of the *original* SOHO hardware - but perfectly adequate at
DSL speeds and probably good for a T1) with unlimited (network) licenses
for $70.  I think this is an awesome bargain.  It doesn't run the latest
OS version but he supplies the latest version the hardware will support.
I don't think there are going to be any more upgrades so it should be
safe enough.

This is one place I think some specialized hardware is a good idea.
Other nice features:
	syslogging
	custom rules
	handles dynamic IP assignments from your ISP
	nice simple DHCP
	NATs your internal network

Hattie Rouge