Tom Diehl wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong BUT the problem with spamassassin is that the receiving
mail server still has to receive that garbage. I want a solution that does not
waste any more of my resources than absoutly necessary. I am a big fan of
rejecting spam based on it's source and NEVER having it delivered an any way
shape or form. AFAIK the only way to accomplish that is through the use of
header checks and RBL's. The more load I can put on the spam scum's servers
the better.

While that would be ideal, RBLs are _not_ 100% accurate and neither are header checks done by the MTA or spam filtering tools at any stage in the process. So, unless you are comfortable with the possibility of losing some of your e-mail (maybe something really important), an after-the-fact filter is still probably the best solution. At least you have the chance to review your spam before it is flushed, and save something that you might never have seen otherwise.

Until SMTP is overhauled, there is only so much that can be done about spam. Even as new anti-spam laws are passed, those laws are not enforcable everywhere in the world. I'm afaid spam is going to be with us for a long time.

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+
Droplets of yes and no in an ocean of maybe