RHN finaly available again.

Finaly as of : Thu Apr 10 23:13:17 MDT 2003

RHN is accepting connections, it's only been unavailable for over a week!

I found out with this little commandline entry :

while date ; do up2date-nox -uv ; sleep 30 ; done

I set my scroll back buffer to 20000 lines, then when I checked this morning
my machine has been able to update.

I would not suggest using this, because you can not decide whether or not to
install specific packages, and it causes extra load on the RHN servers.

After have tried for over a week to get updates, I got sick and tired of the ;
Error 51 ... Message.

So for about two days, every 30 seconds the script attempted to do a full
unattended update.

I was able to configure the new RHN alert notification tool, and check
for updates because the tool had been indicating that nscd still needed to
be updated. I didn't get an error mesage that time {finaly.}

On my machine at home where I have a priority entitlement, I was able to
upgrade to RH 9 and get the updates at 150 kBps, since it wasn't dog slow
like it has been in the past when I was getting the errors, I was getting the
feeling that it was intentionaly down in order to procure subscriptions. It
was at that point that I decided it was time to evoke extreem measures to
see if the server was over loaded or just rejecting demo accounts. I figured
a probe every 30 seconds should be able to sneak in if it was exceeding
a maximum number of users. Since it took over a day to sneak in then
the errors disappeared except for the odd instance for the last ~8 hours.
It would seem to me that my assumption was not far off, but then again
it /could/ be a coincidence. :-\

What ever the reason, it is now available again. In the time it took to
get the updates, I was able to make patches to fix the radiusd-cistron
port for FreeBSD, submit the request, get clarification of the acceptance
of my patches, get the port update notification then get the updated
version from the free csv system and rebuild the new patched port with
days to spare. I have even been given credit for the patches, unlike any
of the patches I submitted to RH. :-(

Y'all have a nice day now, y'hear.