Re: Spam ?

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 13:32, C Moss wrote:

> > 	It's definitely a marketing thing.  Not only Mdk but Slack is at 9.x
> > and don't forget Solaris is at 9, too.
>
> Wrong.

	Yes and no.

> Every time I have heard of about red Hat's versioning system it has been
> consistant.
>
> A major release is triggered when changes break binary compatibility.
> As is this case with NPTL.

	Right, this is the "yes" from above.

> Other company's may have been led by marketing but I have been using Red
> Hat for years and I can tell you they have always been consistant.

	Just for background; I have been using Red hat Linux since version 2.1
and Linux in general since November 1991.

	The marketing driven aspect of this was to push the threading in so
soon.  This release is definitely an 8 -> 9 upgrade but it didn't have
to be.

> Anyone have a good link to the "official" versioning policy so we can point
> new users to this as a FAQ when they jump to conclusions?

	Last time I was talking with the RH developers this isn't an official
policy, just how they do it.

--
Farewell neighbor.  Thank you for giving us a safe place for so many
years.