Re: Netscape / Mozilla Terminal

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 12:38, Neil Marjoram wrote:
> I have been given an idea by someone to come up with a system that when
> booted starts up into a Netscape / Mozilla full screen mode secure
> terminal, without the ability for anyone to get in 'behind' the browser.
>
> If this can be done easily we are looking at replacing and adding to the
> public interactive terminals around the museum. This would be a
> wonderful coup for Linux within the museum, and help to gain more
> acceptance of it's use, both internally and to the public. We already
> employ RH7.3 for the front end web server, DNS etc, now I want everyone
> to see it!
>
> I have been told it can be done, so anyone have any ideas ?

quick&dirty:

set up a guest account with a restricted shell and a "exec
mozilla/netscape/whatever" in its (read-only) .bashrc, then give it
write permission to cache directory only and disallow login to ttys

A better way would be to start the browser directly from inittab with
respawn but I've never tried anything like this....

Piero