Re: SNMP

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 02:40:38PM -0300, Nataniel Klug wrote:
>     Hi guys,
>
>     I am needing some help on configure SNMP to work. I wanna to use snmpd
> daemon to just send messages, or respond on requests, to my MRTG monitoring
> tool. I can't get it work in RedHat v8.0. I am trying with this snmpd.conf:
>
> com2sec local     localhost        cnett
> com2sec mynetwork 200.163.208.0/24 cnett

Ok. You just gave the world a password in clear text. My first advice is to
change it ASAP.

> group MyRWGroup v1 local
> group MyRWGroup v2c local
> group MyRWGroup usm local
> group MyROGroup v1 mynetwork
> group MyROGroup v2c mynetwork
> group MyROGroup usm mynetwork

you can form groups for all SNMP version protocols with the metaversion
"any".

> view all included .1 80
> access MyROGroup ""      any       noauth    exact  all    none   none
> access MyRWGroup ""      any       noauth    exact  all    all    none
> syslocation AAAA
> syscontact Webmaster <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> proc mountd

Scrap this one (proc) unless you are monitoring services via SNMP.

> exec echotest /bin/echo hello world

Scrap this one (exec). It's just an example of net-snmp's ability to be
extended with external scripts.

> load 12 14 14

the rest looks pretty much what I have in my box, which is being monitored
with MRTG as well, so there shouldn't be any problems.

>     When I try to access the information on the redhat 8 box it returns
> nothing. Using this same snmpd.conf in a bonx with redhat 7.1 it works just
> fine.
>
>     Can someone solve my problem?

Things to check:

- Is snmpd running? Do 'service snmpd status'
- Is snmp answering? You can check this trying snmpget from the localhost.
- Are SNMP requests getting to the daemon? Check if you have iptables rules
configured, then use tcpdump to check SNMP traffic.

> Nataniel Klug

Cheers,
--
Javier Gostling D.