RE: More Samba

Hey Bob--
Below is my smb.conf file as it stands now.  Note the security setting.  I
believe this is what makes the logon possible...but obviously I'm no expert.
The man page--the REALLY long one--explains this.

Here's what it says:

 SECURITY = USER

       This is the default security setting in  Samba  2.2.   With  user
level
       security  a  client must first "log on" with a valid username and
pass-
       word (which can be mapped using the username map parameter).
Encrypted
       passwords  (see the  encrypted passwords parameter) can also be used
in
       this security mode. Parameters such as  user and  guest only if set
are
       then  applied  and  may change the UNIX user to use on this
connection,
       but only after the user has been successfully authenticated.

       Note that the name of the resource being requested is not sent  to
the
       server  until  after  the  server  has  successfully  authenticated
the
       client. This is why guest shares don't  work  in  user  level
security
       without allowing the server to automatically map unknown users into
the
       guest account.  See the map to guest parameter  for  details  on
doing
       this.

       See also the section  NOTE ABOUT USERNAME/PASSWORD VALIDATION.

[global]
   workgroup = FRANCESCA
   netbios name = LinuxServer
   server string = Samba