Re: Subject: Re: Red Hat 9

On Saturday 29 March 2003 15:11, Guy Fraser uttered:
> Like I said above RH rolled the software out, and I am not responcible
> for updating the technicians workstations. But with the recent changes
> at RH the company has reluctantly purchased some entilements at my
> request. Having given my company the speil about how RHN was the way to
> go because the software goes through a QA proccess before it is
> released. The company is pissed that they had to forkout cash for what
> was free, and then within months a large percentage of the group was
> unable to work, that was a huge cost in salaries and customer affecting
> delays. Having not fully cooled down over the entitlements, then wine
> gets trashed...
>
> Management was not impressed, and was looking for a scape goat.

So sorry, but Red Hat can't be blamed for your IT department's ineptitude.
You shouldn't have sold them on not needing to test updates before rolling
them out.  Red Hat can only test their platforms and configurations.  Lord
knows how many variations can permutate in a customer environment.  All
updates to critical systems should be tested _before_ major rollout.  End of
story.  Quit bitching because _you_ misinformed management, and your IT
dropped the QA ball.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net