Re: WineX

Gerald Henriksen wrote:

On 27 Mar 2003 21:58:29 -0800, you wrote:

Would I be able to get around this (wine not working) if I built from source?

No. The problem is that the current versions of wine and some other apps will not work with the new thread system that is in glibc 2.3

Until the wine developers come up with a fix the only way to run wine
is to remain with Red Hat 8.0 and do not update glibc as per the
errata (though check to see whether the security fix is necessary for
you or not, if it is necessary then choose between the fix or wine).

Security fix... yeah that's the idea.

Hey if the software you need to use for your job doesn't work, then job security is the issue isn't it.

I wonder how many companies are like mine, where the people with Linux Desktops are SOL and I was the person who convinced the powers that be, it would be a productivity improvement. Now non of the people with linux can access our customer database. I have the weekend to come up with a feasible solution to getting access to the FileMaker Pro DB form the linux workstation, because we can not have people sitting around because they can't do their work.

The feeble excuses from the guy's who appear to work for Red Hat just doesn't cut the mustard when my job is on the line because they messed around with somthing that should not have been messed with.

While I am sending this message I am downloading versions of FreeBSD, SUSE and Debian. I am under the gun and I hope the people at RH who made this major **** up are as well. I would like to bet I am not the only person who's job is on the line over this.

I am extremely angry about this issue.