Re: Crack for MD5 Passwords?- correction

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 02:00:58 -0500, Raúl D. Pittí Palma wrote
> Ronald W. Heiby wrote:
> >
> > Thanks to all for the pointer to "John". It installed with very little
> > trouble. Probably the trickiest part was figuring out that it was
> > using its own (tiny) word list, rather than the big list that comes in
> > the distro, and where to change it in the config file.
> >
> > Anyway, I've got one of my fastest machines at work using its spare
> > cycles to test our group's passwords.
> >
> > I temporarily created a password of "apple" on an account that
> > ordinarily does not allow logins, and it found that within a couple of
> > minutes. So, I guess it's working! Fortunately, after about 36 hours,
> > it has not yet found one of the "real" passwords. Should be
> > interesting.
> >
> > Thanks again! Ron.

> gogle on "muffet dictionary" and feed it to john.  you might be
> surprised.. :-)

Not sure what I am suppose to be looking for; is this the wordlist you had in
mind:

ftp://ftp.cerias.purdue.edu/pub/dict/local from
http://www.openwall.com/PR/wordlists/

I also found a smaller wordlist at http://www.openwall.com/PR/wordlists/common.txt

Also found links to several word lists at http://wordlist.sourceforge.net/

(I did find a whole bunch more on recovery at
http://members.aol.com/jpeschel/crack.htm#ktools).

However, I am not sure if any of these is the one to which you refer?