Crack for MD5 Passwords?

Hello psyche-list,

The Debian distro appears to have a modified version of the "Crack"
password testing utility that is set up for the MD5 passwords that are
recommended these days.

The Debian distribution uses a system with which I am not familiar,
and have been unable to decipher sufficiently to let me find a copy of
the source for their crack-md5, except for the original crack source
and a set of diffs.

I've just spent a few hours trying to get this thing to build on my RH
8.0 system with no success. I sure don't remember "patch" being this
much of a P.I.T.A., but today I can't get it to create the debian
version. It seems to be ignoring the pathnames of files within the
diff file, so new files are getting created in $(pwd). Looking at the
changes in the diff, it isn't even clear to me that I'll end up with
something useful on a RH system when I'm done. The closest I've come
is a version of the Crack script that refuses to run the "make" to
build its guts. Not a good sign.

The fundamental and most useful question is: Does anyone know where I
can find a copy of Crack that runs on RH 8.0 and deals with MD5
passwords? (I've looked in FreshMeat, FreshRPMs, and SourceForge.)

Failing that, can anyone point me at the option I'm not seeing in the
man page to make "patch" respect the pathnames of files in the diff
file?

Failing that, any other help with this would be appreciated.

Failing that, RedHat, please consider this a feature request!

Thanks!

Ron.