From: Jay Crews [mailto:jpc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, 27 March 2003 5:05 PM
To: psyche-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Editor Documentation

Wolfgang Gill writes....

> Thanks for that, it was EXACTLY was I was looking for. I'd also assume
> that these commands and functions can be used in scripting?? Without
> any trouble?

Well......not exactly.  Or not really for writing scripts
like I think you are talking about.

However, you will see similarities in some of the commands
and tools like 'sed.'  I think it has something to do with 'ed' commands,
which vi is a frontend, or something........Someone with more history info
can probably explain better.

But similarities in sed like  s/STRING1/STRING2/g
are the exact same as if you do them on the command prompt
in vi.  But only a few of them.
And most metacharacters are respected.

I may [WILL] get some argument here but......10 years ago the way to write
scripts was learn awk, sed, and as many unix commands as you can and put
them together in a bourne shall script and run it. But if you are starting
out today, and want to write some scripts, you will do yourself well to
learn Perl. NOW, before I get attacked here......that in NO WAY suggests
that ignore the VERY useful commands like grep, cut, sort, tr, sed, find,
and all the useful redirects, pipes, etc. However, Perl can do pretty much
anything that the awk/sed combination can do, and you can learn Perl in
about the same time as learning both sed and awk.  PLUS, anything you cannot
do with a Perl command, you can invoke a shell command and pull the results
back into Perl to process.  AND.....Perl makes string parsing a piece of
cake, whereas it's a NIGHTMARE doing much of it with just regular unix
commands piped together. And Perl is VERY portable, and here to stay.

-- Jay Crews
jpc@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Attention:
This e-mail message is privileged and confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender.
Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

This e-mail has been scanned and cleared by MailMarshal
www.marshalsoftware.com