Re: [psyche] Re: [psyche] Best way to update to RH9 from 8.0 ?

Ah Huh.

That why my wine is broken.

The last RH 8.0 glibc from up2date is 2.3.2-4.

I had been using wine to access our FileMaker Pro 6 Server with FileMaker Pro 5.5 until it broke.

I certainly hope RH reverses the "upgrade".

The biggest complaint I made about 8.0.93 was the lack of wine.

This is a true pain in the ass, now I may have to put windows on my workstation
or convince the powers that be to purchase VMWare, unless that is screwed up too.

This sounds like something M$ would do, not RH.

Since RH 7.3 things have been going to shit in a hurry. Up to RH 7.3 thins just kept getting
better and better.

First elm was dropped along with sawfish, now wine and who knows what else.

I hope a list of dropped application accompanies the list of new features, so long time users
can decide what to do.

Due to many of the "lost features" in RH 8.0 I could not stop the switch to FreeBSD for servers
at work. I hope I am not forced to abandon RH on my workstation and at home, but if RH does
not smarten up I will have to. RH is almost futile at doing MultiMedia now, esd is not an option
for most capture, DVD and video playback applications. Trying to get alsa to build is next to
impossible, most of the libraries it need either are not included and some won't compile with
out being fixed to work with RH.

I have to stop now, or I will start to really rant.

Guy

Raul Acevedo wrote:

Interesting that it breaks so much.  The CodeWeavers email alerting
users that the Red Hat glibc errata breaks wine mentioned that
CodeWeavers is trying to persuade Red Hat to issue a glibc errata that
fixes the security problems but doesn't go from 2.2 to 2.3, hence not
also breaking wine and everything else.  Keep a look out for that...

Raul