Re: Editor Documentation

> On 17:57 21 Mar 2003, Wolfgang Gill <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote: | Can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction as to
> where to  | get hold of some editor documentation. Either in HTML or
> PDF format. |
> | What I basically would like to do, is to write some *.sh scripts.
> And  | use the editor commands to edit some text files (Command line
> based).  | I want to be able to search for text, and either add text
> to the file  | (in the correct area), or remove the text and/or
> replace the text in  | the file using a script.

Wolfgang,

O'Reilly has an excellent reference book on vi available in both hardcopy
and on-line form. You can view the on-line version at
http://safari.oreilly.com/?x=1&mode=section&sortKey=title&sortOrder=asc&view=&xmlid=1-56592-426-6/DEDICATION-1-fm2xml&open=false&catid=&s=1&b=1&f=1&t=1&c=1&u=1&r=&o=1

If you want to write those edits as part of scripts, then there's another
O'Reilly reference book you'll probably want called 'sed & awk'.

There are fancier editors out there, but as everyone knows.......

(get ready for it !!!)

Real men use vi.

 ...reaching for the fire extinguisher now....  :-)

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL