Re: Linux vs Windows

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 02:01:10PM +1000, Mirabella, Mathew J wrote:
> I know that more immediate support with hardware is likely to be better
> for windows because most hardware like sound cards etc are comercial in
> nature, and thus usually come with windows drivers as a default.  e.g.
> creative labs sound cards.  This is understandable, and it is not a
> criticism of red hat or any linux distro.  However, if linux wantts to
> really hit the mass market, they have to learn three things from windows.

OTOH, when I tried to install Win2k on a somewhat old system, I had trouble
with the soundcard. The Soundblaster AWE 64 Value (ISA PnP) was not
configured. I went to the Creative Labs site to get drivers and found that
the AWE 64 is no longer supported. That I had to buy a newer sound card! I
started surfing until I found a site which described a process to get the
Windows NT drivers working under Win2k, but it was a PITA, not for the faint
of heart or people without some medium technical skills. After I hosed the
system playing with it, I decided I wouldn't go through it all over again
and reverted to Win98, specially since the only use for Windows on this
machine is to play games and run AutoCAD for my wife.

At the same time, I installed RH8 on this same machine, and the only thing I
had to do to get the sound card working was to add the sndconfig RPM from
the CD (it is not installed by default) and run the program to have
everything sounding smoothly.

So, all in all, it seems your hypothesis can work both ways given the right
example. The bottom line is, IMHO, use whatever OS and apps better suit the
task at hand.

Cheers,
--
Javier Gostling D.