help partitioning

hi ,
I have a 40gb hdd , 128mb ram , pentium 4 1000mhz hp pc
of the 40gb i have made two logical partitions , of 22 gb & 18gb
22gb is reserved for windows xp , & on 18gb I wish to install Linux 8.0 ,
i want to have a dual boot & keep the windows xp as it is till I learn more & feel comfortable with Linux as I am new to this.
please if someone can guide me to partition the 18gb for installing Linux

I have downloaded the psyche-i386-iso images & created 3 cds reqd for installation , please reply me with the calculation as to how  much is reqd for diff partitions in linux

what are the partitions i should create , & how much each partition should be allocated
is there any calculation by which it becomes easy to allocate the reqrd space for the said partitions
should i create all the partitions as mentioned below or is there anything else i should know please guide me

/
/boot
/home
/swap