Re: Red Hat 9

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Gordon Messmer wrote:

> Daniel T. Drea wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> >

> >>Everyone has what they want, except for those who want the same old
> >>thing....  If you want the same old thing, run Slackware.  It hasn't
> >>changed in YEARS.  As a consequence, it's a damn pain to maintain.
> >>

> >I take offense to that, as a longtime slackware and redhat user, I find
> >nothing hard about maintaining slackware in the least. This list is not
> >the place for mudslinging. Maybe you haven't changed in years, but I would
> >suggest you look over the software implimented in the new slackware 9.0,
> >you might be surprised. :)
> >

> I'm aware of Slackware's state.
>
> I find that people who become accustomed to a thing no longer think that
> it's hard.  However, keeping a large farm of Slackware machines up to
> date is significantly more difficult than it is on any other common
> Linux distribution.  On Debian, you can "apt-get upgrade" and be done.
>  On Red Hat, you can do the same, or you can subscribe to RHN and get a
> web based view of all of your machines, discover where updates need to
> be applied and apply them.  What has Slackware got that compares to that?
>
> Slackware's package management tool is basically the same today as it
> was 7 years ago (or more).  Back then, it might have been acceptable,
> but today it is not.  Package management software is expected to track
> dependencies to prevent you from installing something that isn't going
> to run (like an update to openssh that was built on a different version
> of openssl).  Until such a thing is introduced, keeping a Slackware
> system up to date or installing new software on a Slackware system will
> be less reliable/simple than the same task on any other distribution.
>
> It's not personal, and there's no reason for you to be offended.

Can large numbers of redhat machines be updated with a single comand from
one box? If not then how is that any easier than typing:

upgradepkg path/to/remote/or/local/upgrade/packages/*.tgz

for each machine?

It's slackwares package management that I find make it "easier" to keep
updated with the latest releases of software. Just as you rely on rhn to
supply you updates to your redhat systems, slackware users can be
confident that errata and updates will be released in the patches section
of all slackware mirrors thus alleviating any worries of openssh being
built against different version of openssl :) If your going to rely on
redhats network for your updates then slackwares mirrors should be just as
reliable for updates. Since we are only allowing packages created by our
distributions there are few if any differences. As for third party binary
packages, linuxpackages.net keeps a nice repository of packages in
separate sections for each release much as does freshrpms.net. One more
thing, slackware 9.0 is including the checkinstall utility patched for
better integration with slackwares own pkgtool that permits admins to
easily create slackware/rpm/debian packages from source installs while
updating the package database.

While I did say I was offended, you have misunderstood the seriousness of
my offense. I am no more offended by your puckering of slackware than I am
of any other linux distribution. I had assumed (here we go again) that the
inclusion of the " :) " at the end of my post showed that it was partially
in jest. I am a long time user and purchaser of many different linux
flavors. I admit I have spent 4 to 5 times the amount of money on linux
over the years than on software from any other source. I like all the
flavors of linux for different reasons and valuer redhat no less than any
other.

Don't be angry, this is all "My Personal Opinion" :)

- --
/dTd
"What would Jesus do?"
gpg-key: http://dandanielle.home.mindspring.com/files/dtd-pub-key.asc