Re: Spam ? (RH9)

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 12:44:06 -0800, you wrote:

>Well, I do know that it's incredibly arrogant and misleading to jump from
>v8.0 to v9.0 without any intermediate steps. NOBODY in the software world
>does that without some serious serious feature additions. RH9 will be
>nothing more than some normal updates. Xfree 4.3, a (still broken) Apache
>2.0/PHP, a slightly newer KDE/Gnome, and what else?

Red Hat has traditionally bumped the major version number whenever
binary compatibility was broken (ie. a gcc or glibc change).  Psyche
was numbered 8.0 because the move to gcc 3 broke binary compatibility
with the 7.* series.

In the case of the change to 9 it has been suggested that one reason
is that the move to the new thread system has caused some problems and
hence binary compatibility has been broken as a result.