Re: java runtime environment RH 8.0

On 19:44 23 Mar 2003, Mike Vanecek <rh_lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| I have these java components installed:
| [root@xxx wormscan-1.5.7-release]# rpm -qa | grep -i java
| gcc-java-3.2-7
|
| [root@xxx wormscan-1.5.7-release]# rpm -qa | grep -i j2
| j2re-1.4.1_02-fcs
| j2sdk-1.4.1_02-fcs
|
| The java plugin works OK with Mozilla 1.3a. However, when I do a
|
| [root@xxx wormscan-1.5.7-release]# java -jar wormscan.jar
| Warning: -jar not understood. Ignoring.
[...]
| Evidently, an old version of java is installed??
|
| [admin@xxx admin]$ java -version
| java version "1.3.1"
| jdkgcj 0.2.3 (http://www.arklinux.org/projects/jdkgcj)
| gcj (GCC) 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)
| Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
| This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
| warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
|
| However, from above I have the 1.4.1 run time environment installed.
|
| Does something else need to be installed to get this to work?

No, you need to fiddle your $PATH.

There's a "java" command installed as part of gcc-java-3.2-7, probably in
/usr/bin, and a "java" command as part if the j2re, doubtless installed
elsewhere. You're getting the gcc one, which seems a little unfeatured
(since -jar has been around for quite a while; I've been using it with
1.3 series JREs).
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs@xxxxxxxxxx    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value.
      --Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole
        Superieure de  Guerre.