Re: ssh quit working

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 12:14:01PM -0600, Quillen, Channon wrote:
> I am able to ping the server.  I am also able to login at the console and
> ping out, ssh to localhost, and ftp to localhost.  The telnet service is
> disabled.
>
> I thought it might be a problem with iptables becoming corrupt (that has
> happened before on another server), so I tried to flush 'em (#iptables -F)
> and was given the dreaded "...can't initialize iptables table 'filter':
> iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)"  So, I stopped the service (#service
> iptables stop) and then flushed 'em again.  That flush was successful.

This is the standard error one gets when iptables is loaded *after*
ipchains is also loaded. As root, do:

/sbin/service ipchains stop
/sbin/chkconfig --del ipchains
/sbin/modprobe -r ipchains

then try your iptables stuff again. Since you have experience with
iptables on another server, I doubt that you would make this newbie
blunder...but never hurts to be sure.

--
Jack Bowling
mailto: jbinpg@xxxxxxx