Re: problems with networking (eth0)

On Fri Mar 14 2003 at 14:09, Lorna M Stimson wrote:

Please wrap your lines at around column 78, please?

> I am having problems accessing my network. I have a 3com
> 3cSOHO100TX network card,

Someone else said that there was no linux support for this card
(yet).  But still, try running kudzu and see if it puts an entry
into /etc/modules.conf that aliases eth0 to a driver module... if it
does, then you are in luck.

> with  device /dev/eth  and driver 3c59x.

There is no support for ethernet devices via any of the /dev/
devices...  what gave you the impression that this was how it was
done?

> In my modules.conf file their is a line "alias eth0 3c59x" and i

Ok, so I assume that if you do "modprobe 3c59x" then you can do
"lsmod" it will show that it is loaded, and if you check the output
of "/sbin/ip link" then it will show an entry for eth0 with a
hardware address.  If this doesn't happen, then that isn't the
correct driver for that card.

> have copied the files /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/sysconfig/network,

/etc/resolv.conf can be safely copied, but it is trivial to set up
by hand.  It is used to tell the system how/where to resolve host
names, and it should point to your DNS server.

/etc/sysconfig/network needs to be modified on a per-host basis, so
that this box has a different hostname to the one you copied it from.

> /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 from another machine

If ifcfg-eth0 specifies a specific IP address, then it MUST be
unique for each computer in your network.  If it mentions dhcp then
the IP address will be obtained from a local dhcpd server.

> where the networking works fine. But, still I dont seem to be able
> to access any other machine.

Try the above suggestions.

> Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?

Unless you really know what you are doing, try configuring these
things via the redhat-config-network tool.  Simply copying verbatim
config files from another box isn't always the right thing to do.

> Thanks
> Lorna

Good luck.

Cheers