Re: How to get rid of Gnome Desktop!

Michael Smith wrote:
Try changing the session on the graphical logon. That's the only way I
know.

-Michael
On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 16:30, Chris Sechiatano wrote:

Here is how I did it. I edited /etc/inittab and changed this line at the top of the file

id:5:initdefault:

to this

id:3:initdefault:

I then re-booted, and that brought me to the command line. I logged in. I then edited .Xclients-default and commented out the line that started gnome. My file now reads like this

#!/bin/bash
# (c) 2000 Red Hat, Inc.
exec gkrellm &
exec icewm

As you can see, I start gkrellm in the background and then start the window manager (icewm, in this case). As long as the executable to your window manager is in your path this, or something like it, should work. You may have a file in your home directory called something like .Xclients-gnome (see the file .Xclients for details). You'll need to rename that to get it out of the way. You will also need to know the correct sytax to start the window manager of choice (IIRC fvwm needs no command line parameters, but many do). Also, I start gkrellm *before* I start the window manager. This works with icewm, but you may need to reverse that for others, I don't know.

To check that this will bring up your window manager log out and just do a startx after you log back in.

If this works ok, then go back to inittab and re-edit the line. I don't do this, since I start at level 3 and move to the gui when I need to.

YMMV

Cheers--
Charles