Re: Ext3 vs Ext2

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 23:01, JD wrote:
> Hallo list,
> I have a "feeling" that ext3 is much slower than ext2. My hadrdrive
> blinks more often after I let RH8 formatted it with its favorite ext3;
> not to mention the noise from the harddrive rotation.
> As I said, it's just a "feeling" so please don't flame me for feeling it.
> Am I justified anyway? Is it true that ext3 fs is somehow inferior in
> practice that ext2?

Well, ext3 is somewhat slower than ext2 due to journal processing
overhead. But this will only show under heavy disk writing (in amounts
over the journal size). What you are experiencing is due to ext3
commiting dirty buffers every 5 seconds instead of the 30 seconds used
by ext2. Now, increasing this time will not help unless you increase the
journal size, because when the journal's size is overrun the ext3 driver
must commit buffers to make room for new write operations. You canhave
ext2 flush every 5 seconds (check the man page for the appropiate mount
options) and see how it compares with ext3.

Cheers,
--
Javier Gostling                        Av. Kennedy 5757, of. 1502
Ingeniero de Sistemas                  Las Condes, Santiago, Chile