Re: Starting KDE or GNOME

Excerpt of message (sent 11 March 2003) by Ryan McDougall:
> More like Windows 2000 is running an X11 emulator.

Agree; I didn't express myself clearly.  Windows 2000 with X-Win is
your X server.  While at work, that's what you use *in place of*
xstart/XFree86 and gnome-wm/metacity.

Dave Tibbals put it better than I could:
> You don't need to invoke gnome or kde from the terminal on your
> windows box to get the gui's of the applications

You explain,
> Well because I am forced to use Windows 2000 here at work and I
> would like to utilize some of the gui tools on my linux box...

Makes sense.  As Dave said, just type the name of the tool into your
terminal window.  (Try, e.g., 'xclock' to see immediately if X11 is
set up right.)

I maintain that there's no point in starting up an X server on a
remote machine.

Maybe your original question could be rephrased, "how do I get gnome's
panel to start up applications from a menu instead of typing their
names?" -- You could try running 'gnome-panel'.  I didn't have much
luck under cygwin/X -- the panel comes up, but then crashes; the
message is "file obox.c: line 107 (get_class): should not be reached".

  Christian