Re: Starting KDE or GNOME

More accurately, /usr/bin/gnome-wm is a shell script that checks if
you explicitly asked for a window manager; otherwise it looks for any of

  metacity sawfish sawmill enlightenment icewm wmaker fvwm2 qvwm fvwm twm kwm

in your $PATH and picks the first that it finds.  It then execs the
window manager.  The message below comes from metacity, and you have
to type 'metacity --replace' directly if you want to follow
suggestion, because gnome-wm absorbs the option.  BTW, it seems it
will only replace another metacity.  General switching is possible,
e.g.,

  kill `ps -e | grep metacity | cut -c-5`; sawfish &

Hoping this is remotely helpful

  Christian

Excerpt of my message (sent 11 March 2003):