Re: SpamAssassin and sm-client

Tony,

Thanks for the tip.

I will treat spamassassin and the sm-client issue separately.

About sm-client.  We checked our /etc/hosts and we are very sure
we have this down correctly.  Since it is an internal private network for
now, we set the hostname in /etc/sysconfig/network and in /etc/hosts.
A ping and hostname shows that the host name is set.   Gateway is
too, we can ping the outside world....

sm-client still freezes on startup.

Any ideas ?

-Arthur

At 11:30 AM 3/11/2003 +1000, you wrote:
On Mon Mar 10 2003 at 18:45, Arthur Chong wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> We're having trouble with the "sm-client" service, it hangs when the
> machine is booted.
>
> We did have to uninstall /  reinstall sendmail when all these problems
> started.
>
> If we bypass it, and do a "/etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail start", it hangs
> as well.

That happens if DNS is a problem (ie, sendmail cannot resolve it
own IP address(es).  Check /etc/hosts to make sure that it has sane
values.

> From what little we can tell, sm-client has to do with spamassassin.

No, nothing to do with SA at all... they are two completely
different things.

But you can get sendmail to work with SA by using a "milter" program
like mimedefang (http://www.roaringpenguin.com/mimedefang).

However, mimedefang is really designed for mail servers and not
single user boxes, and it is not so trivial it setup.

> We have no experience with this software.
>
> Should we try to make sm-client work?  It seems like a special
> RedHat 8.0 deal, even sendmail.org does not have any info on it...

Huh?  There is heaps of info there about it.  You are probably
looking for the wrong thing.

As of sendmail 8.12.x locally generated emails are posted via a
sendmail client (not running as root, usually as a non-privileged
"smmsp" user using /var/spool/clientmqueue), which hands it off to
the "real" sendmail.

This is a security feature.  Check the security README that comes
with the sendmail docs.

> Your input is much appreciated!
>
> Regards,
> - Arthur Chong