RE: why there is no sound when I played CD

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 16:43:43 -0500 (EST), Gerry Doris wrote
> > In WinXP it plays CD without any problem. I have check the volume
> > control and it is at the maximum. What should I do next? Thanks and
> > Regards.
>
> I had the same problem with psyche.  There's something wrong with the
> default mixer.  It will kill all sound.
>
> However, if I used kmix I could get it to work but if I used the
> gnome mixer
> (the one on the sound menu called Volume Control) it killed the
> sound as soon as it openned.  There is no way to turn the sound on
> again except to start kmix and turn on the cd audio.
>
> If you don't have kmix then try some other mixer other than the gnome
> default one.

I am listing to Yanni on Gnome with RH 8 with the default Volume Control and
whatever CD player comes with Gnome just fine. I tend to agree with the others
that the XP test is not a valid check of the connection between the CD player
and sound card. I have seen more than one install where the wire was not
connected.