Re: why there is no sound when I played CD

On Sunday 09 March 2003 12:47 pm, Tengjiao HU wrote:
> In WinXP it plays CD without any problem. I have check the volume
control
> and it is at the maximum. What should I do next? Thanks and Regards.

Plug a headphone into the headphone jack of the CDROM.  If you hear
sound then the problem is no connection between the CD Drive and your
soundcard.  XP uses clock cycles to digitize the CD output and send
that to the sound card.  XMMS has a plugin that is supposed to do
this but it does not work for me.  AFAIK there is no other player for
Linux that does the digital conversion

If you use KDE you can try audiocd:/ in Konqueror.  If you use
ide-scsi emulation set /dev/sg0 to rw

# chmod a+rw /dev/sg0

It's OK for ripping but lousy for playing IMO.

--
Stephen Carville http://www.heronforge.net/~stephen/gnupgkey.txt