why there is no sound when I played CD

I finally found out what the directory in /dev for my CD. I can mount it
without any problem now. However, when I played CD, the playing software
indicated that I did read the data and output, however, I cannot hear any
sound from my speaker. I know my speaker should work well because I can play
the sample Midi files in the software. What should I do? BTW, I have not
install alsa rpm because I think the original RH can support the sound
system already.