Re: grub to lilo post

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 07:59:03 -0500, ivan valdes wrote:

> i posted what i consider a simple thing to gurus of the linux distro
> last night. my post has been summarily ignored by y'all, and when
> anxiously checked the last 6 or 7 lists instead i find all kinds of
> polemics over a fschk. i was rather flustered but in the wee hours of
> sunday i found the readings very entertaining. don't feel so bad that
> you ignore the plea of a linux newbie. thanks for nothing.

Well, I can't and won't speak for others. But I read your post and
at that time didn't know what to reply due to lack of input (IMHO).
Sometimes it would be necessary to ask lots of question, which can
become tiresome. You could have included your GRUB config file
/boot/grub/grub.conf at least, so one could derive the LILO config
from it.

Let's see:

> i dual booted rh8 with win2k using grub as the boot loader in the mbr.
> have had trouble booting 2k and it is my understanding that grub doesn't
> support kernels installed  or started below the 1mb line(info grub)

Which is something I haven't heard before. Tried to skim over the
grub manual briefly, but didn't find that section in short time.

What GRUB boot menu entry did you try for booting W2K?

> the
> solution appearsto be to get rid of grub as the loader and use lilo.
> can anybody tell me the proper way to accomplish this. don't want to
> have to reinstall rh8 to get rid of grub. thanks in advance. i have
> aleady installed the lilo package, but don't know how to make the
> switch.

LILO comes with good documentation. One of them is "man lilo.conf"
which even contains an example of a LILO config file. Comparing that
to your GRUB config file, you should be able to construct an
/etc/lilo.conf and install it with "lilo -v". It is likely to look
roughly like the following, but be warned that you would need to
adjust your partitions, install target (here Master Boot Record
/dev/hda), kernel versions and initrd files, Windows on primary
slave drive (with BIOS drive IDs swapped). Your config and partition
layout is likely to be different:

# /etc/lilo.conf

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map