Newbie problems with gnome

I installed RH8 and have been running gnome. Everything was working fine until I moved the panel to the left side of the screen instead of the bottom. The next time I logged in I kept getting gnome errors, I finally managed to get the panel moved back to the bottom and things seemed back to normal. The next time I logged back in the panel was fine but all of the desktop stuff is gone and the login window that comes up is xwindows default. What file or files got hosed, where are they located and how do I fix them?

Thanks for the help
-Scott