Re: Problems with local mail delivery

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 12:32:04PM -0500, Craig Zody wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> Yes, mail is delivered fine if it is addressed 'off' of the machine.
> Mail is also accepted fine from 'off' of the machine for local users.
> But mail from on the machine to another user on the machine doesn't work.
>
> Sendmail is running and is using (almost) the default
> /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file with the exception of removing the
> restriction to only listen on the loopback address.
>
> I can see that it is listening on both the public interfaces and the
> loopback address using netstat -a -n.
>
> I have removed all of the sendmail packages completely and the
> re-installed them, but that leaves me with the same problems (so I don't
> really think that it's sendmail).
>
> Is there a system-wide variable set somewhere that tells the system
> which SMTP server to use? If so, where would it be set?
>
> Once again, ANY ideas on where to look would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Craig Zody
The place to look is in the /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file.
There is a line :
dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')
that should be commented out which I suspect is not. Commenting is
done by the dnl at the head of the line. Then you need to create a new
sendmail.cf file by executing:
m4 sendmail.mc > /etc/sendmail.cf
Then restart sendmail and all should be well.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.