Re: Problems with local mail delivery

Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 11:26:09AM -0500, Craig Zody wrote:

Hello all,

I have a Red Hat 8.0 box with updates that is giving me fits. Whenever I try to send mail locally (within the system), it doesn't go through.

When I use the '/bin/mail' command with the -v (verbose) option, it appears that mail is trying to connect to localhost.com:

[root@bitbrothers root]# mail -s test craig -v
test
Are you saying mail is delivered to other sites but not to the local
machine?
Yes, mail is delivered fine if it is addressed 'off' of the machine. Mail is also accepted fine from 'off' of the machine for local users. But mail from on the machine to another user on the machine doesn't work.

Sendmail is running and is using (almost) the default /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file with the exception of removing the restriction to only listen on the loopback address.

I can see that it is listening on both the public interfaces and the loopback address using netstat -a -n.

I have removed all of the sendmail packages completely and the re-installed them, but that leaves me with the same problems (so I don't really think that it's sendmail).

Is there a system-wide variable set somewhere that tells the system which SMTP server to use? If so, where would it be set?

Once again, ANY ideas on where to look would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Craig Zody