Re: xppro-ntfs

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 21:33, ivan valdes wrote:
> dual booting xppro(ntfs) and rh8. have to boot rh8 from floppy(nuisance)
> apparently /boot partition in rh8 and ntfs in mbr didn't get along.how
> can i convert ntfs in hda1 to fat 32. tried using part. magic 7 but

no need to go to such measures.  The fact that you've got an NTFS
partition, or any other partition for that matter, shouldn't effect
whats in the mbr.

> refuses to do it(it responds some data compressed and too sparse).
> anybody know how it can be done? so i can boot laptop using grub or lilo
> in mbr to boot either os. my install cds for the laptop only give ntfs
> option for xp. thanks

There are a couple of options I can think of.  You can get the XP boot
manager to load windows or linux (not too easy but still possible.)  Or,
put grub back into the mbr.  It seems like its been removed somehow,
either when you installed XP or by some mbr virus software.

Boot to linux with the boot disk, and then from a prompt type

grub-install /dev/hda

replacing hda with whatever drive your bios looks at to boot.  You might
need to do this instead

grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/hda

if you have a /boot partition with all your files in it.  Then you may
need to modify /boot/grub/grub.conf and add an option to boot windows if
its not alread there.

HTH,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain@nospam.pcorp.com.au>
Mobius strippers never show you their back side.