(Deja-vu): PHP and File-Write Permission?

Hello there all again:

When I was programming CGI in Perl, I had this problem: I could not create or
write to any files on the server. And one of the solutions was to set SUID to
the Perl script and disable SuEXEC. Now, I'm having the same problem with PHP
script, for which I do not have a solution yet. I've browsed through
the /etc/php.ini file see if there are any options to be switched on to allow
this but could not find any. My Begginning PHP4 Professional Book did not give
me much help either, regarding this problem.

Please, could someone give me some hints on what to read or to do to solve
above problem? In case I did not make myself clear, I'd like to state the
problem again: My PHP script could write to any file on the server when opening
from the browser though it could from the command line ($ php -f myphp.php).

Thanks a great deal
Vidol