Re: Japanese in Evolution 1.2.2 & OpenOffice on RH8.0

Not sure what your problems are but did you check if you have the right
packages installed?  I chose Japanese as the default Language and have
no problems logging in and having an all Japanese environment though I
hardly ever use it. About open office though, you need to choose the
right Japanese font by clicking on the mouse otherwise the kanji will
disappear after you've typed it.

You could also check the bashrc file and see what the language settings
are.  I've put the following

export LANG=ja_JP; export XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2";
export LC_MESSAGES=en_us; exec kinput2-canna&

I don't need menus in Japanese, just the ability to type in Japanese.
The above script serves me fine.

Check out the Tokyo Linux User Group archives & links for more info