Re: LAN driver for a7v8x (BroadCom 4401)

On Thursday 27 February 2003 07:48 pm, Telford wrote:

> > No, kernel-source*.i386.rpm
>
> I'm well aware what the names for the various packages are...
> If you look here:
>
>    http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/redhat/updates/8.0/en/os/i386/
>
> You will NOT find any glibc-kern*.rpm even though the kernel source
> has been updated. I am completely sure that the full kernel source is
> NOT a requirement to compile the bcm1440 module because I rebuilt the
> rpm on a standard rh8.0 install WITHOUT any kernel-source packages
> installed. I didn't look at exactly what the build process was doing
> but it did work. With an upgraded kernel it did not work.

You shouldn't find an updated package. glibc-kernheaders is not updated
with each kernel update. It contains the headers that glibc was built
against.

I've never tried building the src.rpm since it wasn't included on my CD,
however it should have produced plenty of warnings if it was including
/usr/include/linux. Modules should never use the glibc kernel headers,
but the headers contained in the kernel source. Here is the output if I
try to include /usr/include/linux while building the driver. I changed
the makefile:
From:
LINUX=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
to:
LINUX=/usr/include/linux

/usr/include/linux/string.h:8:2: warning: #warning Using kernel header in
userland!
/usr/include/asm/bitops.h:334:2: warning: #warning Using kernel headers in
userspace.

The build fails with _many_ errors reported.

> Yes I understand that I can use the full kernel source, I was merely
> trying to save a big download. Here's the md5sum of the driver package
> that I was building:
>
>    802ce8dbddaeb25f07f6f8d7bb955276  bcm4400-1.0.2-1.src.rpm

Your sure you didn't have the kernel source installed? I wouldn't think it
would be possible to compile the driver without it.

- --
- -Michael

- --