Re: Accessing Red Hat Network from a computer in a LAN

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 15:53, Michael Smith wrote:

>>=20
>> The desktop is acting as a firewall for anything sharing internet access
>> through it. I'm not sure exactly how you configure that but, the info
>> might help. You need to figure out what port RHN uses, and then open
>> that on whatever you can think of.

> Actually, the rhn applet and up2date don't get originating connections
> from outside, therefore if your firewall allows ESTABLISHED and >RELATED
> connections in, then you should be fine. A simple way to check this
> is
> to see if you can 'surf the net', and ping outside your LAN from the
> laptop, using the desktop as the router. If not, the problem lies in
> your firewall/routing somewhere.
>
> If you can do this however, then the problem is probably somewhere
> else. I just checked the rhn applet to see what ports it uses, and
> after domain name resolution I get lots of 443 activity (https) so to
> be
> really sure, see if you can connect to a https site somewhere.
>
> The up2date "process" uses some other ports I think, but again if you
> can surf, then this should work. What command precisely is giving the
> Network Error?

I can surf the web and also ping outside. I don't have much knowledge
about networking stuff so I guess I'll show you my routing script which
I got from
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialNetworkGateway.html. It is
working so I use it. Here it is:
#!/bin/sh

iptables --flush # - Flush
all the rules in filter and nat tables
iptables --table nat --flush
iptables --delete-chain # -
Delete all chains that are not in default filter and nat table
iptables --table nat --delete-chain

# Set up IP FORWARDing and Masquerading
iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --out-interface ppp0 -j MASQUERADE
iptables --append FORWARD --in-interface eth0 -j ACCEPT # -
Assuming one NIC to local LAN

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward # -
Enables packet forwarding by kernel

I actually use the rhn applet and it just shows the circle with grey
background colour and a white question mark on top of it. Clicking on it
gives the error message "Network Error 111: Connection refused".

I tried using up2date from console window, and here is the output:
[root@compaq alimin]# up2date
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 801, in ?
main()
File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 494, in main
up2dateAuth.updateLoginInfo()
File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2dateAuth.py", line 112, in
updateLoginInfo
loginInfo = login()
File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2dateAuth.py", line 100, in login
loginInfo = rpcServer.doCall(server.up2date.login, systemId)
File "/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/rpcServer.py", line 107, in doCall
ret = apply(method, args, kwargs)
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/xmlrpclib.py", line 821, in __call__
return self.__send(self.__name, args)
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rhn/rpclib.py", line 126, in
_request
verbose=self._verbose
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rhn/transports.py", line 130,
in request
fd = resp.decode(fd)
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rhn/transports.py", line 343,
in decode
self.read(fd)
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rhn/transports.py", line 324,
in read
self.io = _smart_total_read(fd)
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/rhn/transports.py", line 395,
in _smart_total_read
chunk = fd.read(bufferSize)
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/httplib.py", line 250, in read
value = value + self._safe_read(amt)
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/httplib.py", line 318, in _safe_read
raise IncompleteRead(s)

I also tried reregistering the system using update --register, but it
failed when sending my information to RHN server.

Alimin