Re: What is best method on RH for getting *new* versions of installed software

This is, in most cases, not possible since dependencies are different
- meaning: Some libs that the 8.0-rpms are linked against are not
present in 7.3 (and vice versa). Therefor in most cases it's not
possible to use these 8.0-rpms. If you manage to do so you should be
lucky - but in general thats the biggest problem. At least if you
look at the differences in libc etc. it's easily evident there must
be some way of "difference" on the library site.

For a first step have a look at rpmfind etc. to check if someone has
"backported" these packages. If you can't get the RPMs for 7.3 why
not get the source and build packages yourself (try the package
"checkinstall" from http://checkinstall.izto.org/).

Greetingz
 Stefan Neufeind, SpeedPartner.de