Re: What is best method on RH for getting *new* versions of installedsoftware

you can use rhn for keep your system updated ..
it's come with rh8...

or use apt-get tool .. (i like most)

http://psyche.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=244
http://freshrpms.net/apt/genaptrep.sh

after installed apt, simply do it:
apt-get update (to retrive the lasted packages)
apt-get upgrade (to install them)
  ot
apt-get install any-package

Cliff Sarginson wrote:
Hello,
I am still getting used to the Redhat way so to speak..
What is the general procedure if you want a new version of something.
An example: I am setting up a new server with RH, I installed
spamassassin, but of course got the version current at the time the iso
was made.
I want the latest version. Do people generally get this from the
originating site..I notice RH RPM's are commonly available there, or is
there somewhere/way that it can be/should be done vie RH itself ?

I obviously want to follow the best practise with not hybridising my
installation too much.

Thanks.