problems with installing from cd.

I had a slight difficulty installing rh8 from CD.
after the skip media test, at the time when the install process is about to start probing... after the line:
... PC-Style....
on occation i would get a message:
ATAPI reset complete
irq error...
ATAPI reset complete

this was cycling.  and the install process stopped moving forward.
I rebooted a few times and eventually it worked.
does anyone know about these problems..

i have an intel P4 2.4Ghz 533MHz bus  with the intel 845PE chipset on a gigabyte main board with 512 Mb of DDR 333Mhz ram.  i have a pioneer DVD/cd rom 48/16 and an asus cd wrw. 48/48/16 both connected to the secondary ide bus.  two large HDs connected to primary ide bus.  i.e. all ide positions are filled.  i have things connected to com1 and com2, as well as a pci network card.
tried configuring my bios with no real differences to the problem.
using an award bios.
although i got the install to work eventually... i would like to know if this is a known problem
any help would be appreciated.
mat.